More Relate Items Here

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
>> Fascinating Story
Wow This book tells the true story of Henrietta Lacks and her family s attempts at understanding how her cells have impacted science It is part medical research history part human interest and part science lesson Civil rights and patient s medical rights are also woven in throughout the book I w

See More Detail >>> The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Three Cups of Tea With Headphones Playaway Adult Nonfiction
Three Cups of Tea With Headphones Playaway Adult Nonfiction
>> A Treasure
There are few books in life that a person would forever keep at his side and of those select few I treasure this one most I find solace in the pages of this book especially in my most trying times and this is because those precious words contained within them remind me that difficulty is always

See More Detail >>> Three Cups of Tea With Headphones Playaway Adult Nonfiction

Liar s Poker
Liar s Poker
>> Terrific portrait of 1980s Wall Street before the MBAs arrived
If you want to know what the big Wall Street bond firms were like before the MBAs took over this is the book It s a great portrait of 1980s Wall Street the way that traders and investment bankers used to appear in the eyes of the young MBAs they hired and the ridiculous training that newcomer

See More Detail >>> Liar s Poker

Courage and Consequence My Life as a Conservative in the Fight
Courage and Consequence My Life as a Conservative in the Fight
>> Setting Bush s record straight
A well written clarification of the President s accomplishments and yes some significant mistakes A book like this from an insider who was so close to the facts is much needed to counter the reporting by a media that on the whole tended to be politically biased against President Bush


See More Detail >>> Courage and Consequence My Life as a Conservative in the Fight

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Cheapest price on My Fair Lazy One Reality Television Addict s Attempt to Discover If Not Being A Dumb Ass Is the New Black or a Culture Up Manifesto

Author : Jen Lancaster
Total Page : 384
Publisher : NAL Hardcover
Publication Date : 2010 05 04

My Fair Lazy One Reality Television Addict s Attempt to Discover If Not Being A Dumb Ass Is the New Black or a Culture Up Manifesto
>> Forget about Reality TV Jen Lancaster is MY guilty pleasure
Life as we know it Average Life as Jen Lancaster knows it Hilarious

MY FAIR LAZY is Jen s foray into self enlightenment She wonders if it is time to get off the couch away from TV Reality Shows and venture into the world of culture At the same time she has a reflection that perhaps if she were a kinder gentler Jen she might have more success or at least not piss off quite as many people around her

This is a great premise for her to explore with her wit and sarcasm For anyone not familiar with her work she is a bit like an bitter Seinfeld and her observations on life and all the people surrounding her are truly entertaining

If you have been a fan of her books right from the beginning Bitter is the New Black you will love this book However be prepared that she has actually softened an ever so tiny bit to my pleasant surprise Having read all of her books which by the way I strongly recommend before just jumping into this one though it can certainly stand alone why miss out I have seen her grow from a very bitter bitingly sarcastic fairly angry and even occasionally caustic person into a slightly emphasis on that word more laid back version of that same woman I can t help but feel that I have had a part in that Okay so I only read her books but still it s been like watching my child develop into well rounded individual minus all the college tuition bills

During Jen s explorations she makes some great strides in culturing up as she puts it and gains some insight regarding her personality most importantly without losing her Fabulous self I think one of her friends says it best at one point in the book telling her that it might not be about what she is saying but about what she is listening to A lesson we could ALL learn grudgingly as she does

I most definitely recommend following Jen as she leaps off the couch and into the real world


>> My Favorite So Far
I m a huge fan of Jen Lancaster s books they are hilarious fun and sarcastic I ve read all the previous novels kept up on her blog and subscribed to her twitter feed she s just that much fun to follow I mean come on she posts LOLcat pictures That pretty much secures you a place in awesomeland

This book follows Jen s journey to get a little bit more culture beyond her current realm of reality shows like The Hills and The Real Housewives and takes place over a little over a year ending with the big event at The Hamptons She pushes herself to read beyond her comfort zone of Lauren Conrad eat beyond her comfort zone of cheeseburgers and try cheese that isn t made by Kraft As a cheeseburger loving chick lit reading gal I cheered her on every step of the way and giggled at the interludes with rats along the way I am glad to be back in the present with Jen as Such a Pretty Plaid was more remembering the past than the present because her life at least how she writes it is pretty darn funny I still am a bit scared of Ambien but also wanna try it to see if I wind up with a Barbie head or a cake on the counter It s not easy to write a memoir it s also not easy to write a memoir if you are someone that claims everyone pretty much hates upon meeting however Jen does write her memoirs well and makes you want to be BFFs with her and meet her for cupcakes It takes a darn good writer to do that

I realize that Jen s wit and writing style isn t for everyone She can be crass and overly sarcastic However if that s the kind of person you are you will love this and her other books

If you are thinking that you don t need to buy the latest novel because you follow her blog and/or twitter and if you don t you NEED TO think again because reading both only enhances the novel I was online the night she took ambien and tweeted about it laughing along the way and part of that made it into the book and made me laugh even more remembering it

PS Jen if you read these to read your Kindle in the bath put it in a ziploc bag the kind with the slider thing Voila bath readable kindle I ve used this method for a year and it s worked like a charm
>> More of Jen s fun antics
I ve read all four of Jen Lancaster s previous books and really loved the first two but by the time that I got to her third and fourth ones I felt like they weren t as funny as her first two had been Since I was able to get an advanced copy of Lancaster s new book though I couldn t pass by this opportunity and I have to say that this is great fun and feels fresh Jen is back to her hysterical antics in this new book and I couldn t put it down once I started it

The book opens with Candace Bushnell writer of Sex and the Series interviewing Jen and mentioning something about Baudelaire Jen realizes that she has no idea who Baudelaire is since she s spent so much time in front of the TV watching reality shows lately and not as much time broadening her horizons as she puts it The result of this realization Jen s quest to discover it not being a dumb ass is the new black the sub title of the book

If you re familiar with Jen s previous books you ll be happy to see that she still gets into her usual escapades with her familiar cast of characters patient husband Fletch personal trainer Barbie writer friend Stacey and her personal menagerie of dogs and cats Also I m not familiar with many of the reality TV show references that pop up in the book I m not much of a TV watcher but still found the humor to fun and found myself laughing out loud throughout the book

I think you ll find this book funny if you re in the same age group as Jen late thirties and early to mid forties As a child of the 80 s I found her references to things like Jon Hughes movies especially the chapter about a party where discussion of Ryan Jake a character from the film Sixteen Candles comes up to be funny and nostalgic You also don t need to have read any of her other books to enjoy this one since this new one will still give you a strong sense of Jen s personality

If you need a good laugh and a fun read I definitely recommend Lancaster s new book


Most Popular Here

More Blood More Sweat and Another Cup of Tea
More Blood More Sweat and Another Cup of Tea
>> Good thing it was free
I guess I didn t read the reviews well enough This is not so much a story as a bunch of diary entries Not impressed He doesn t seem like he enjoys his job very much

See More Detail >>> More Blood More Sweat and Another Cup of Tea

The Blind Side Evolution of a Game
The Blind Side Evolution of a Game
>> Casual football fans will love this book
What a great book Michael Lewis not only knows how to put together a captivating story he does so with subtle wit and plenty of insight His meticulous research is obvious he ll casually mention a former player and then go into detail about that player s career and its importance to the history o

See More Detail >>> The Blind Side Evolution of a Game

In Defense of Food An Eater s Manifesto
In Defense of Food An Eater s Manifesto
>> Pithy and Powerful
Eat food Not too much Mostly plants writes Pollan It s been a few weeks since I read the book and I still remember that Words to live by The book expands on those simple sentences in the subsequent chapters The book is short and well written and dare I say life changing I was already a f

See More Detail >>> In Defense of Food An Eater s Manifesto

Are You There Vodka It s Me Chelsea
Are You There Vodka It s Me Chelsea
>> just ok
first book best this one ok and chelsea chelsea bang bang borrow from a friend

See More Detail >>> Are You There Vodka It s Me Chelsea

With the Old Breed
With the Old Breed
>> Good read
Does a great job of putting you in the shoes of a grunt Didn t serve during WWII but have served in every conflict since Viet Nam and he nails some of the experiences HIs descriptions of what you see hear and smell are dead on Good book and it s on the list of required reading for Marines

See More Detail >>> With the Old Breed

Eat Pray Love One Woman s Search for Everything Across Italy India and Indonesia
Eat Pray Love One Woman s Search for Everything Across Italy India and Indonesia
>> Another crazy divorcee writes a book How original
If I have to read one more mind numbingly insipid novel written by some pill popping neurotic woman who can t keep her life together I will scream
I am SO SICK of these women thinking they can write books I am just so tired of their pathetic attempts at humor They allll think they hav

See More Detail >>> Eat Pray Love One Woman s Search for Everything Across Italy India and Indonesia